School districts, individual schools and support facilities require a unified security system that provides consistent and timely information when responding to unplanned or emergency events. They need to make sure that the right information is communicated to the right people. They also are faced with unique problems. Classroom teachers are lone workers and usually do not have access to more sophisticated communications systems.
K-12 schools need to combine employee feedback, video surveillance, access control and other security- related functions to ensure security against unknown threats.
- Make open areas more secure. Maintain an open feeling, with a tight security structure for visitors
- Institute a see something, say something culture
- Provide a two-way adaptive crisis management system
- Apply the best technology from the electronic security and emergency management areas to the needs of school facilities
- Provide a single, integrated environment for data collection, analysis, reporting and communication in emergency environments
- Ensure timely and consistent emergency communication to all school facilities and personnel
- Coordinate teachers
- Provide significant operational benefits in addition to required emergency response functions
- Provide a core local event management system for all school facilities
- Implement a scalable controller architecture
- Leverage, if possible, extensive third-party system integrations
- Protect the organization’s assets including IP
- Comply with all student privacy laws
- Minimize costs of litigation
- Maintain a consistent set of policies and procedures
- Rigorous monitoring
- Timely access to actionable information
Access Control and Other Challenges:
- Extend access control throughout school campuses and other district buildings in a cost-effective manner
- Integrate with other security and non-security systems and
- Improve security in open areas
The Maxxess Solution:
Our systems make schools more efficient, coordinated, and secure, while providing a sense of community for the school’s workforce. Let’s look at some specifics:
Extend access control throughout the facility easily and cost-effectively
Maxxess provides cost-effective access control administration and management to the entire facility--including often unsecured interior doors, remote doors, office doors, labs, server cabinets, lockers and padlocks--without the need to add wiring or expensive wireless infrastructure or compromise functionality.
Most K-12 facilities do not include all doors on secure access control systems because of the high cost, which can run $2,500 or more per door “plus cable & labor.” Maxxess has the capability to add these doors at a significantly lower cost, as low as $400/reader.
We accomplish this via the integration of our eFusion security management platform to the Salto Data on Card Virtual Network system.
This integration provides a virtual network that uses the ID credential to store the cardholder’s door access permissions and eliminates the need to add expensive wireless infrastructure or hard-wire the access control system to every door and reader.
Integrate with other campus and district systems:
Outlined here is a representative sample of integrations that Maxxess has implemented in district facilities using its eFusion universal security management platform:
We integrate to Active Directory and provide LDAP and role-based access control for the enterprise.
We provide support for multi-protocol systems.
We are a leader in integrating access control, time and attendance, ID badging, fire alarm, video and the various silos of responsibility.
We implement scalable, open controller architecture--from single-point to 64-door controllers and comply with all privacy laws.
We improve overall safety and security by helping the schools institute a see something, say something culture and giving them timely access to actionable information.
We have instituted a two-way adaptive crisis management plan that can be tested and improved directly from the security system output.
If there is a threat or an event, it allows the school to make rapid, fact-based decisions and then adaptively respond to the threat. The organization can lock down or evacuate groups of individuals as the situation changes.
Our ambit system allows administrators to take the pulse of the school at any time.
We automate evacuation and mustering, as well as providing a special reporting display from the muster station.
We integrate relevant school programs, such as asset management.
Our systems have been used to improve workforce coordination. We are one of the few security system manufacturers who can speak of ROI rather than cost of implementation. Here are some examples:
- Front Office to Staff – Let individual teachers know they are needed in the office immediately.
- Teachers to Custodial Staff - see something, say something. Staff can report custodial issues in their classrooms, such as lights that need replacement, and clean ups. ambit allows for reporting potential hazards staff might find around campus, such as spills on the staircase. It can also be used for opening a room for someone who has been locked out.
- Teachers to Computer Tech - Technical issues that need to be addressed right away.
- Computer Tech to Teachers - message teachers about a district-wide issue with the network.
- Custodial Staff to Teachers – Custodians can alert teachers as to which areas of the school may be off limits at any particular time.
- Teacher to teacher – Cross-curricular planning.
- Counselors to Teachers – Notifications regarding students.
- Teachers to Counselors – Report student issues that might require immediate attention.
- Let front office know when a teacher is running late.
- Let front office know when a teacher will need a substitute.
- Promote idea sharing. It can be used to connect and coordinate people inter-departmentally.
Improve security in open areas with patented, powerful tools.
Did you or one of your staff ever “feel” that something was wrong? That you were uncomfortable? Our ambit system is designed to capture that sixth sense, that perception of danger and provide the organization with as much anticipation time as possible.
Maxxess ambit system harnesses your staff’s understanding, experience and all of the human senses to make observations, choices and decisions about any situation that they encounter, including anticipating danger.
ambit offers situational awareness, collective intuition, greater incident anticipation and the possibility of pre-emptive response.
ambit empowers your staff and creates a sense of community.
With ambit, every staff member can communicate and see something, say something.
It also allows the organization to provide a shared awareness and perspective of an important situation to all of its mobile personnel, enabling rapid and accurate response to all security situations.
ambit extends the enterprise’s security reach beyond the bounds of the facility, dramatically increasing the security coverage throughout the organization, including remote facilities and supply chain issues.
The ambit technology opens up a whole new sphere of safety and security intelligent sensing.
ambit provides heat maps of all staff activity that provides a clear view of workforce activity quickly and intuitively. Conversely staff can use ambit to report any threat, confrontations or other emergency situations within the facility.
ambit helps the organization maintain a consistent set of policies and procedures. Its audit trail function protects the organization and minimizes costs of litigation.
Best of all ambit does not require any new infrastructure and provides for privacy.